8.19.2010

Mid-City Cafe - Perfect!

Sometimes you go to a place and from the moment you step into it, you know you will be back many many more times.  Thats how I felt when I walked into the Mid City Caffe in Washington, DC.  It sits perched above Miss Pixies, a 14th Street Vintage and unique furniture and trinket shop.  I opened the door and immediately smelled fresh coffee with a tinge of cardamom to the scent.  The space is made for people to come and work on their computers, have coffee meetings and relax in a serene off beat environment.  One room has booth backed seats and big pull out chairs around tables with ample plug space.  Anticipating solo coffee shoppers, there is also a bar pressed against the window lined completely with plugs to facilitate easy work. Of course, Mid-City has free wifi, which again makes you feel comfortable coming here to work a little on the computer.  A second room juts off to the side, painted in light blue/grey with all high seat bar seats and a poster on the door announcing the DC English Writers Meeting each week.  

Walking up to the coffee bar, I noticed a slew of community even fliers waiting on the counter.  One that particularly caught my eye is the "Neutral Uke Hotel" night produced by Golden Bloom on Aug. 25 that will offer a sing-a-long to Neutral Milk Hotel songs played by the Neutral Uke Hotel and opened by Twins of a Gazelle on a UKELELE.  Really sweet. Their menu is a pretty classic, coffee, tea, espresso, french press and hand brewed fresh ground coffee.  There are a few light food choices and some delicious looking muffins and cookies.

Sitting here in the sun, I get the sense that I will be back here many more times to get personal work done, to write, to think, to drink coffee and to enjoy myself.  Among the coffee shops that I've been to in DC, Tryst, BusBoys and Poets, Qualia and Big Bear, Mid-City so far is my favorite.  I still need to try Sova on H Street to complete my tour.  Any other suggestions of indie shops that I've missed?

No comments:

Post a Comment