8.28.2010

Stroga: Sun Drenched Yoga Experience

After making a quick breakfast of CSA peaches, granola and yogurt and relaxing for about an hour, I realized that I had the bug to get up and go.  Finding it impossible to imagine going to the gym, I quickly scanned the schedules of the local yoga studios to see if there were any specials and lo and behold, in 15 minutes a weekly free (donation suggested to benefit Haiti) community yoga class would take place at Adams Morgan’s very own STROGA studio.  Off I went to what proved to be a really great studio with a really great community class.

First, the studio.  It has one side for strength training and another side for yoga.  My review here is only for yoga.  Walking into the building you are greeted by a registration desk on the right and a sumptuous, leather couch, pretty rug, table and chairs lounge on the left.  Continue up the stairs and find the yoga studio with a preparation/storage room leading into the biggest, most well lit studio I’ve ever seen.  The floors were spotless hard wood and the ceiling was fitted with gorgeous ivory painted designed plaster mouldings.  The room had windows and balconies looking out over Adam’s Morgan which let light spill into the room.

Second, the class.  I was a tiny bit late, so I did not catch the teachers name, but the community class basically ran through warm up small movements, sun salutations, balancing poses, abs and lots of stretches.  Gorgeous mix of music – Indian, Fado, Samba, American Funk/Jazz  and a little 60s (Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel!). 

All and all, I can’t wait to try a regular class and maybe see the room in the evening, however, one way or another, very recommended.  Any suggestions of other studios to check out?

No comments:

Post a Comment