2.13.2011

SOTD - There is a light that never goes out | Dum Dum Girls

Its my opinion that its not really worth covering a song for a studio album, unless you are doing something really different or unique with it.  A good recent example of this is "Warning Sign" covered by Local Natives on their album Gorilla Manor.  While you can find traces of the original (notably lyrics) it is a different song than the original.  There are a few bands and songs that probably shouldn't be covered.  In my eyes, The Smiths, are just one of those bands.  Listening to XMU's Download 15 last night, I was therefore surprised to hear Indie girl band darlings the Dum Dum Girls covering The Smiths "There is a Light that Never Goes Out."  This is one of my very favorite Smiths songs, so I'm probably a little over protective of it (much like, "Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" covered by She and Him).  The main change that the Dum Dum Girls made to this song was electrifying it, and using woman's vocals.  I'd be psyched to hear this version as an encore at a show, but, on an album?  Not enough change for me to justify it.  Smith's fans..... agree or disagree?




1 comment:

  1. Local Natives do Simon & Garfunkel's "Cecilia" live, but didn't put it on their record, which IMHO shows good music judgment.

    ReplyDelete